Junior Golf: Maximize Your Child’s Unique Path

imageIn today’s Monday Mulligan will we look at your child’s unique junior golf path and how to maximize it. Your junior golfer’s path is specific to him and once you grasp, understand and accept it, you can work together to maximize and structure the plan to get the best benefits. (photo from jennlefforge.com)

So how do you figure out what his path is? Just as his overall path for life is a one-of-a-kind for him, it’s the same for junior golf. Every youngster will have his own sequence of events:
what age did he begin playing golf, how quick does his skill level advance, when did he start playing tournaments, is he competitive with other players his age, did he make the junior high team, did he make the high school team, does he want to play college golf and virtually every aspect of his golf life.

Let’s use S3 as an example. He started playing golf at age 5. We did something golf-related several times a week. Tournament play began as soon as he reached the minimum age, 7-years old, as a rule, here in Central Texas, sometimes younger. He was always competitive with the better players in his age group and won some tournaments in his pre-teen years. The school district had no junior golf program, but there were still plenty of tournaments and competition. And he was All-District in high school all 4 years. College golf was a goal from the very first days of his pursuit of the game. Our son will begin his senior year on the Texas A&M International University golf team. His college golf experience has been beyond anything he or Dad and Mom could have ever imagined. We are huge proponents of college golf and encourage all parents and their junior golfers to include this option in their path. (photo from blogs.desmoinesregister.com)image

Everybody has a path of their own. For today’s reference, let’s talk about the 2015 Open Champion, Zach Johnson. We’re using Zach’s career because he is one the top PGA pros whose junior golf career, according to Sir Nick Faldo, was OK, but was not at the “Phenom” level. Please keep in mind that approximately 85% of PGA/LPGA Tour players are folks who have worked long and hard on their skills to be able to join these exclusive Tours. That leaves about 15% for the obvious “Phenoms”, such as Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth.

Please know the odds are that you will have a hard worker rather than a phenom. Be excited that you have a kiddo that loves this great game. Avoid phenom or hard worker and focus on helping your junior golfer improve his game.

See you on #1 tee… Sam

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: